With the start of the new school year, set yourself and your child up for more success by planning healthy meals and snacks.
Here are some tips for preparing for healthy lunches:
- Use a cycle menu (yes it can be done) or rotate between 3 – 5 easy meals. Keep these staples on hand so you don’t have a reason to skip packing a lunch and resorting to handing out lunch money instead.
- Shop in bulk for staples like juice boxes, plastic ware and other non-perishable.
- Prep vegetables right after grocery shopping and then pre-package items like cut up veggies in bags or containers.
Plan ahead for snacks by trying the following:
- Create a snack zone where children can self-serve.
- Select a snack shelf in your pantry or cabinet and set house rules for the number of snacks each day per child.
- Use a snack jar and have children pre-select snacks for the next day.
- Keep a fruit bowl stocked on the counter.
- Save some of the pre-cut veggies ready for snack time.
- Have approved snacks where they can be reached in the refrigerator.
- If you don’t want your children to eat it, don’t have it in the house.
What techniques do you have for organizing healthy lunches and snacks?