I have been focusing on connecting or connectivity for six months already. Some days continue to be easier than others. And I continue to learn lessons from this practice.
One such lesson is being present. If you are present in the moment it is amazing how you can connect with others.
I would like to share some suggestions on how you can be present:
- Practice meditation daily. Even if it is just for 10 minutes in the morning after you wake up. Set a timer, sit comfortably and focus on your breath. If thoughts wonder in, gently return to your breath.
- Set mindfulness cues. Setting a chime on your computer or phone to go off on a regular schedule can encourage you to pause and be aware of what is happening in the moment.
- Set your intention. Whether before an activity or the day. Before beginning something pause for a minute and determine what you intend. By focusing on the why, your desire will stay at the forefront and can make you present in the activity.
- Reflect on your day. Each evening before bed review how present you were during the day. This can help you learn what works and doesn’t work.
- Identify three good things. At the end of the day think about three good things or moments you had during the day. This sets an attitude of gratitude and attracts positive things to your life.
- Be curious. Approach each encounter or activity with great interest. You can learn a lesson even from the most difficult situations and by focusing on the positive, it changes your perspective.
There are a lot of amazing benefits to being more present and mindful and being present helps you identify when you are fearful, resistant, procrastinating or resentful. By being aware you can work on those feelings.
So, do you intend to practice being present today? I intend to continue practicing.