Feeling overwhelmed and having difficulty starting (or restarting or continuing) your clutter busting journey?
What is your hot spot or area that you would like to work on? If you are struggling with even starting with that decision, pick a surface in a high traffic area.
Start by visualizing the space as you would like it to look and/or function. Now focus in on that one surface. Really take a couple of minutes to get a clear picture of what a clutter-free surface or space looks and feels like. Got it? Good.
Now here are some steps to help you get started on that space:
- Set the timer for 15 minutes
- Grab a trash can and a container (to transport items) to bring to the area.
- Collect any items that are garbage/trash.
- Throw out the garbage into the trash can.
- Grab the container and place any items that are recyclable in it.
- Take the container with the recyclable item to your home’s recycling area.
- This is important. Return to the area you are currently working on with the container.
- Use the same container and gather items that belong somewhere else.
- Using the container to transport items return those items to where they belong.
- Return to the area you were working on and see the progress you have made.
If time remains, here is an opportunity to continue working on the space by going through a second time for more items or expanding to another section of the space. Or if you used your 15 minutes, schedule your next decluttering session in your calendar now.
I used this technique recently to work on decluttering my office space. By just starting on one surface, I was able to purge a lot. Remember this is about decluttering or getting rid of unwanted, unloved or unused items (definition of clutter) and not necessarily about organizing as a first step.
What area are you looking to declutter?