Last week, I shared information on affirmations and potential areas in your life to use the.
This week, I would like to help you create affirmations that work.
Here are some steps to use for creating affirmations:
- Select an area in your life that you would like to reframe your thinking about or a goal you want to achieve.
- Visualize the result.
- Write a short statement that reflects that result.
A few additional tips:
- Stretch yourself but ensure that you feel the end is achievable or the affirmation is “believable”.
- Make the statement(s) as if you were already there.
- Write down the positive affirmation.
- Place it where you will look at it several times daily (mirror, planner, a daily pop up notification, etc.).
- Say it out loud (if appropriate) with confidence frequently throughout the day.
Affirmations may be more effective when you pair them with other positive thinking and goal-setting techniques. You can also use visualization and meditation to add impact to your affirmations.
Examples are I make healthy food choices daily to nourish my body or I confidently deliver my presentation in front of the Board of Directors.
What is your affirmation?
Now that you have written down your affirmation, use it. The power of affirmations is in repeating them to yourself regularly. It is useful to state your affirmation several times a day. You also need to repeat your affirmations as soon as you engage in the negative thought or behavior that you want to overcome.
Affirmations will work if you put your mind to it and believe.