Earlier this month I posted about healthy eating as part of NNM®
I would like to make the case now for regular physical activity. Regular exercise benefits us by:
- Improving mood
- Promoting better sleep
- Boosting energy levels
- Combating or self-management of health conditions
- Strengthening your muscles and bones
- Enhancing brain health and memory
- Being a social activity
- Getting us out into nature
- Reducing pain
- Supporting weight loss/maintenance
Overall, exercise or physical activity are great ways to feel better, boost your health and have fun. For most healthy adults, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends:
- At least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes a week of vigorous aerobic activity, or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. The guidelines suggest that you spread this exercise throughout the week. Examples include running, walking or swimming. Even small amounts of physical activity are helpful, and accumulated activity throughout the day adds up to provide health benefits.
- Strength training exercises for all major muscle groups at least two times a week. Examples include lifting free weights, using weight machines or doing body-weight training.
It is recommended to spread your activities throughout the week. If you want to lose weight, meet specific fitness goals or get even more benefits, you may need to ramp up your moderate aerobic activity to 300 minutes or more a week.
Remember to check with your doctor before starting a new exercise program, especially if you have any concerns about your fitness, have not exercised for a long time, or have chronic health problems.
Join me. Physical activity is part of my mission and April is my month focusing on moving more and consistently.