Desk clutter can be a distraction so here are some suggestions for de-cluttering your desk:
- Set up a drawer to hold ongoing projects so they don’t live on your desk.
- Only keep essential items on the desk top. Move duplicates or extra supplies to the supply cabinet.
- Convert paper files to digital files when possible.
- Eliminate sticky notes and use a notebook instead for messages, thoughts and to-dos.
- Limit personal items to just a few special items.
- Transfer business cards to your electronic contacts.
- Use in and out boxes and locate it on your credenza and not on your desk.
And to maintain a clutter-free desk, leave five to ten minutes at the end of the day to clear the decks (desk top) so you can start the next day fresh and you can improve your productivity and reduce distractions.