While most holiday parties and festivities take place during the last three weeks prior to Christmas, it is possible to enjoy holiday celebrations without overindulging if you follow a few tips:
- Plan some activities where food isn’t the primary focus and physical activity is the focus.
- Before attending a party have a snack to take the edge off hunger.
- Offer to bring a healthy dish to pass.
- Commit to continue balanced meals, adequate fluids, and getting plenty of rest.
- Don’t skip meals especially breakfast.
- Keep your regular exercise schedule.
- Plan some quiet time into your day to mediate, journal or relax.
- Station yourself away from the buffet table so you make a conscious choice to eat.
- Watch your alcohol intake for the sake of calories and commitment.
- Save your indulgences for one or two favorites.
Enjoy the holidays doing the things that matter most to you including holiday foods and treats by planning ahead, taking care of yourself and staying aware.