Here are some additional techniques for connecting with others in a social or business setting, but they can also be used at personal gatherings:
- Surround yourself with people you do not already know. While this may be difficult for those that are shy, putting this fear behind will enable you to make new connections.
- Individually introduce yourself to everyone in the group, shaking each person’s hand and giving them the attention you would want to receive.
- Make sure you only use slang or professional jargon if you are 100% sure everyone that is listening (or reading) can understand your words.
- Make sure you have the attention of the person you wish to communicate with by establishing and maintaining eye contact.
- Try to send clear messages that are congruent in both verbal and nonverbal dimensions. Make sure your volume and tone agree with your facial expression and body language.
- Ask for feedback to ensure the message you sent was accurately received.